India vs Australia, 1st Test – Day 5: Statistical highlights
Statistical highlights of the fifth and final day of the first Test between India and Australia at the Adelaide Oval here on Saturday.Kohli's 4th ton vs Australia is his eighth in Tests.
Adelaide: Statistical highlights of the fifth and final day of the first Test between India and Australia at the Adelaide Oval here on Saturday.Kohli's 4th ton vs Australia is his eighth in Tests.
- Kohli's above innings is the highest by an Indian batsman in the fourth innings against Australia in Tests.
- Nathan Lyon's match-winning figures of 12 for 286 are his best ever in a Test match.
- For the first time, he has bagged 10 wickets in a Test, bettering nine for 165 vs India in the 2012-13 Delhi Test.
- His match winning performance is the best by a spinner in a Test match vs India, obliterating Australia's Jason Krejza's 12 for 358 at Nagpur in 2008-09.
- Lyon's outstanding feat of seven for 152 is his best in a Test innings in Australia -- his second best behind the seven for 94 vs India at Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi in 2012-13.
- Lyon's seven instances of five wickets in an innings in Tests, include four in a winning cause.
- Lyon has received his first Man of the Match in Tests.
- Australia have won five consecutive Tests against India in Australia -- all four in the 2011-12 series, followed by the recently concluded Adelaide Test.
- Australia have produced their seventh victory in eleven Tests against India at Adelaide (lost one and drawn three).
- Australia have won 37, lost 17 and drawn 19 out of 73 played at Adelaide.
- The last 12 games between the two countries have been won by the home team.
- Murali Vijay has recorded his third fifty (99 off 234 balls) vs Australia - his eighth in Tests. The innings is his first fifty in the fourth innings of a Test match.
- Vijay has been dismissed in the nervous nineties third time. He had scored 97 vs South Africa at Durban in December 2013 and 95 vs England at Lord's in July 2014.
- Vijay (53 + 99) has posted a half-century in each innings of a Test match for the first time vs Australia.
- Vijay has become the second Indian to get out lbw at 99. Navjot Singh Sidhu (vs Sri Lanka at Bangalore in Jan 1994) had provided the first instance for India.
- Vijay has become the third Indian opener to post fifty-plus in each innings of a Test match against Australia in Australia. Abid Ali (78+81 at Sydney in January 1968) and Virender Sehwag (63+151 at Adelaide in January 2008) were the first to perform the feat.
- Kohli (115+141) has managed 256, his best performance in terms of run-aggregate in a Test match, surpassing the 215 (119+96) vs South Africa at Johannesburg in December 2013.
- Virat became the sixth overseas player to record a century in each innings of a Test match in Australia. England's Herbert Sutcliffe, Wally Hammond & Denis Compton, India's Vijay Hazare and West Indian, Rohan Kanhai were the first five. Rohan Kanhai (117 & 115 at Adelaide in 1960-61) was the last to do so before Kohli.
- Kohli's match total of 256 is the highest by a player on captaincy debut. New Zealand's Graham Dowling had managed 239 & 5 against India at Christchurch in February 1968.
- Kohli became the first skipper in Test cricket to figure in a losing cause despite posting a hundred in each innings of a Test match.
- Kohli is the second skipper after Greg Chappell to post a ton in each innings of a Test match on captaincy debut. He, however, is the first to record the feat in an overseas Test.
- Kohli is the third Indian batsman (after Vijay Hazare and Sunil Gavaskar) and the 10th in Test cricket to finish on a losing cause despite recording a hundred in each innings of a Test match.
- Kohli's performance in the fourth innings in Tests is superb - his aggregate being 566 at an average of 70.75, including two centuries and three fifties, in eleven innings. His outstanding average is the highest by any Indian batsman in the fourth innings (minimum 500 runs).
- Lyon has claimed Pujara's wicket four times in Tests -- the most occasions a bowler has dismissed him.
- Vijay and Kohli have shared a stand of 185 -- India's highest third-wicket partnership vs Australia in Australia, surpassing the 139 between Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar at Perth in January 2008.
- Vijay has recorded four sixes in the just concluded Adelaide Test -- the second highest by an Indian opener in a Test match in Australia. Sehwag had posted five in the 2003-04 Melbourne Test.