Sydney: Australian cricket officials are still no closer to knowing whether Michael Clarke will be fit enough to play in next year`s World Cup.
Clarke`s future remains uncertain after he badly tore a hamstring during Australia`s first test win over India last week.
He has already ruled himself out of the three remaining tests and is facing a race against time to be ready for the World Cup, starting in mid February.
"These are difficult circumstances given Michael`s injury and the fact that we don`t know how long he will be out of the game," Australian chief selector Rod Marsh said on Monday.
"What we do know is that it won`t be an overnight fix."
Clarke`s prospects could depend on the extent of the injury, the latest in a series of problems he has had with his back and hamstrings.
He has already consulted with a specialist who is expected to decide on the best way to treat the problem.
Cricket Australia announced on Monday that Steve Smith would take over as the new test skipper, but no decision had been made yet on the one-day team.
George Bailey is the current vice-captain and has filled in for Clarke before whenever the skipper has been sidelined.
"The next 24 to 48 hours will give us far better guidance on that process. But I think George Bailey has done a fantastic job," Australian team performance chief Pat Howard said.
"We`re number one in the world. He`s led the last two series, so all that was discussed."