Sydney: Profile of Australian cricketer Steve Smith who was named on Monday as his country`s 45th test captain.
* Born June 2, 1989 in Sydney.
* Started his career as a promising legspin bowler and middle order batsman but is now primarily a batsman.
* Made his debut for Australia aged 20 in a Twenty20 match against Pakistan on Feb. 2010, taking two wickets and scoring eight runs.
* He has gone to play 21 T20s for Australia, with a high score of 34 and best bowling figures of 3-20.
* Made his one-day international debut for Australia in Feb. 2010, against the West Indies, taking two wickets but did not bat.
* Has since played 45 ODIs, scoring 921 runs at an average of 31.75. He has scored two hundreds and three 50s.
* He was picked for Australia`s Test team in mid 2010, aged 21, against Pakistan at Lord`s.
* He has played 23 Tests, scoring 1,749 runs at an average of 46.02 with five hundreds, nine half-centuries and a high score of 162 not out, against India at Adelaide Oval last week.
* Smith was dropped from the Test team in early 2011 after making just two half-centuries from his first five Tests.
* He was recalled to the test team just over two years later, making 92 on return.
* He scored his first test century, an unbeaten 138, in the fifth Ashes test at The Oval last year, then two more in the 2013-14 Ashes series in Australia.
* He was named in Dec. 2014 as Australia`s 45th test captain, taking over from Michael Clarke after he injured his hamstring in the first test with India.