Back injury rules Michael Clarke out of India tour, replaced by Callum Ferguson
Melbourne: Australia were on Tuesday dealt a massive blow ahead of their upcoming tour of India as skipper Michael Clarke was ruled out of the limited-overs series due to a nagging back injury, replaced by Callum Ferguson in the squad.
"The Cricket Australia National Selection Panel today advises that South Australia`s Callum Ferguson will replace the injured Michael Clarke on Australia`s VB Tour of India," Cricket Australia said in a statement.
"In addition, the NSP has clarified the Australian squad for the T20 against India, with Nic Maddinson added to the squad."
Clarke`s availability was in doubt for the series which starts with a T20 on October 10 followed by a seven ODIs.
George Bailey will captain the ODI team in Clarke`s absence with Brad Haddin as his vice-captain.
"Michael was very keen to captain the ODI team to India but unfortunately he hasn`t progressed enough to be available for selection," National Selector John Inverarity said.
"His replacement is Callum Ferguson, whose form in 50-over cricket during the last Australian summer was impressive, scoring 271 runs at an average of 45 and a strike rate of 70 in the RYOBI CUP, along with an additional three matches for Australia A against the England Lions in February scoring 149 runs in three innings at 49.66 with a strike rate of 91," he added.
"In addition, The NSP has added Nic Maddinson to the squad for the T20 fixture. Nic showed some sparkling form on Australia A tours during the winter. He will be in strong contention to open the batting with Aaron Finch in this game," Inverarity said.
Commenting on Clarke`s injury, Australian Team Physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said Clarke has a longstanding low back injury that requires "ongoing management".
"During the recent England ODI series his injury flared up again and has been slow to improve with his regular treatment regime.
"Michael will therefore not be available to play the upcoming India ODI series and will require a more extensive rehabilitation period before returning to competitive cricket," Kountouris added.
Australian T20 squad: George Bailey (Captain), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Xavier Doherty, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Brad Haddin, Moises Henriques, Mitchell Johnson, Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Clint McKay, Adam Voges, Shane Watson.
Australian ODI squad: George Bailey (Captain), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Xavier Doherty, James Faulkner, Callum Ferguson, Aaron Finch, Brad Haddin, Moises Henriques, Phil Hughes, Mitchell Johnson, Glenn Maxwell, Clint McKay, Adam Voges, Shane Watson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez