Doherty banking on `favourable` Indian conditions to boost 2015 World Cup claims
Sydney: Australian off-spinner Xavier Doherty is reportedly targeting the India ODI tour to solidify his spot in the Australian team and stake a claim in the side for the 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup.
Doherty, who has been in and out of both the Test and one-day team this year, was dropped entirely from Australia`s 50-over squad against England after the Ashes.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, however, Doherty said that he feels that the India series is the ideal opportunity to cement his spot in the one-day team ahead of the 2015 World Cup, to be held in Australia and New Zealand, unlike many of his teammates who are looking at the shorter format to force their way into the Test team for the Ashes.
Stating that the Indian conditions are going to be in his favour, Doherty also said that he would have an extra opportunity to step up and lead in those conditions as the fast bowlers struggle, and use it to stake his claim for the World Cup.
The World Cup looms especially large for Doherty, who has just seven wickets in four Tests at an average of 78, as he does not see international red-ball cricket in his immediate future, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro to be launched today; Is Mi Notebook on the way too?
- Income Tax raid at AAP legislator's residence
- Bezwada Wilson, T M Krishna win Ramon Magsaysay Award
- Caribbean Premier League eyes US ahead of T20 games
- Mayawati slur row: Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh spotted in Jharkhand – See pics