Irked by BCCI’s restrictions, Ian Chappell rejects commentary offer
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Former Australian cricketer Ian Chappell, known for speaking his mind, has reportedly refused to commentate in the upcoming India-Australia limited overs series.
Chappell found the restrictions imposed by the BCCI on those employed by it for commentary purposes unacceptable.
In an interview to a leading daily, Chappell revealed that he was invited by the official broadcaster to do commentary but when it was revealed that he has to abide by BCCI’s rules and regulations, he turned down the offer.
“I was invited by ESPN to do commentary. I emailed back asking who I was working for and the reply was; I was contracted by ESPN but I would be subject to BCCI restrictions,” Chappell was quoted as saying by the daily.
"I emailed back to ask what these restrictions were and was told; ‘I couldn’t talk about Indian selection, DRS or administrative matters. I responded saying I didn’t feel I could do my job properly under those circumstances and therefore declined the offer," he said.
The report also claimed that former Australian batsman Matthew Hayden has been signed as Chappell’s replacement.
India will play seven ODIs and one T20I against Australia beginning 10th October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!