Irked by BCCI’s restrictions, Ian Chappell rejects commentary offer
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Former Australian cricketer Ian Chappell, known for speaking his mind, has reportedly refused to commentate in the upcoming India-Australia limited overs series.
Chappell found the restrictions imposed by the BCCI on those employed by it for commentary purposes unacceptable.
In an interview to a leading daily, Chappell revealed that he was invited by the official broadcaster to do commentary but when it was revealed that he has to abide by BCCI’s rules and regulations, he turned down the offer.
“I was invited by ESPN to do commentary. I emailed back asking who I was working for and the reply was; I was contracted by ESPN but I would be subject to BCCI restrictions,” Chappell was quoted as saying by the daily.
"I emailed back to ask what these restrictions were and was told; ‘I couldn’t talk about Indian selection, DRS or administrative matters. I responded saying I didn’t feel I could do my job properly under those circumstances and therefore declined the offer," he said.
The report also claimed that former Australian batsman Matthew Hayden has been signed as Chappell’s replacement.
India will play seven ODIs and one T20I against Australia beginning 10th October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH