Rohit joins the league of Tendulkar and Sehwag with maiden ODI double century
Banalore: Smiling ear to ear after becoming only the third cricketer ever to smash an ODI double hundred, Indian batsman Rohit Sharma said he went in with the intent to "play big" and successfully executed the plan on the small ground.
Sharma joined Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag in the all-Indian club of ODI double-centurions in international cricket when he cracked a 158-ball 209 against Australia in the seventh ODI here.
"To get 200 runs is a wonderful feeling. The idea was to stay on the wicket and capitalise later. This is a small ground and it`s easier to hit and I just took my chances," Rohit said as he caught his breath after the exhilarating knock, which included a world record 16 sixes and 12 fours.
The 26-year-old said he was looking to play aggressively after getting a hundred in the second one-dayer in Jaipur, which India won to square the series.
"It is really coming off very well. I got a hundred in the last game and I just wanted to carry on from that. I wanted to play big. I just wanted to keep the momentum going," he said.
In the course of his hurricane innings, Sharma became the record-holder for most sixes in a match, crossed 1000 runs this year besides breaching the 3000-runs mark in his ODI career.
The Mumbaikar laughed when he was asked about the mix-up with Virat Kohli which led to latter being run out and leaving the field angrily.
"It happens sometimes. It`s all a part and parcel of the game," he said with a cheeky smile.
Sharma, who has now played 108 ODIs, has finally got a Test call-up as well and is sure to make his debut in Sachin Tendulkar`s farewell Test series against the West Indies next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark