Rohit joins the league of Tendulkar and Sehwag with maiden ODI double century
Banalore: Smiling ear to ear after becoming only the third cricketer ever to smash an ODI double hundred, Indian batsman Rohit Sharma said he went in with the intent to "play big" and successfully executed the plan on the small ground.
Sharma joined Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag in the all-Indian club of ODI double-centurions in international cricket when he cracked a 158-ball 209 against Australia in the seventh ODI here.
"To get 200 runs is a wonderful feeling. The idea was to stay on the wicket and capitalise later. This is a small ground and it`s easier to hit and I just took my chances," Rohit said as he caught his breath after the exhilarating knock, which included a world record 16 sixes and 12 fours.
The 26-year-old said he was looking to play aggressively after getting a hundred in the second one-dayer in Jaipur, which India won to square the series.
"It is really coming off very well. I got a hundred in the last game and I just wanted to carry on from that. I wanted to play big. I just wanted to keep the momentum going," he said.
In the course of his hurricane innings, Sharma became the record-holder for most sixes in a match, crossed 1000 runs this year besides breaching the 3000-runs mark in his ODI career.
The Mumbaikar laughed when he was asked about the mix-up with Virat Kohli which led to latter being run out and leaving the field angrily.
"It happens sometimes. It`s all a part and parcel of the game," he said with a cheeky smile.
Sharma, who has now played 108 ODIs, has finally got a Test call-up as well and is sure to make his debut in Sachin Tendulkar`s farewell Test series against the West Indies next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city