After Trent Bridge, now pitch controversy at Lord`s
London: The furore over the "poor" pitch in in Trent Bridge is yet to settle down but that has not stopped a new controversy from brewing in the India-England second Test after MCC was forced to tender an apology for the manner in which one of its groundstaff swept the pitch here.
"MCC were forced to apologise and defend the conduct of a member of their groundstaff after Kevin Pietersen drew attention to his method of sweeping the pitch at lunch," reported `The Independent` after third day`s play on Saturday.
"Shane Doherty`s work attracted the attention of Sky Sports` commentators and Pietersen was moved to post a video on social media, captioned with the remark "Unbelievable" followed, in customary KP fashion, by seven exclamation marks," the newspaper stated.
Doherty was then approached by fourth umpire David Millns but MCC, the keepers of the Lord`s Cricket Ground, asserted that it was "a genuine, honest mistake, and there was no intent to damage the pitch".
However, Pietersen said there was something more to it.
"He knew what he was doing," he wrote on Twitter.
The newspaper claimed that the visiting Indians will not make any issue of the incident.
"Indian cricket sources indicated that there would be no complaint from the team, although the final decision would rest with the captain, MS Dhoni, and his players. Whatever the explanation and there is no reason to believe Doherty was anything other than careless it was another talking point in a series that has already had plenty of them."
During the opening Test in Nottingham, the groundstaff drew considerable flak for preparing a placid pitch which resulted in a tame draw. The track was labelled poor by the match referee yesterday and an ICC investigation is underway on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail