BCCI needs to handle Varun Aaron with care: John Gloster
New Delhi: The Indian cricket board (BCCI) must take special care of injury-prone fast bowler Varun Aaron to ensure he has a long and successful international career, feels former national team physio John Gloster.
Gloster, who had worked with the Indian team from 2005-2008, feels that "maintaining proper workload is an area of concern not only for Indian fast bowlers as well bowlers from other part of the world".
"Varun is what 24 years and he has already had a back surgery and that`s not a great thing at such a young age. So he is fast bowler, who needs to be managed very carefully as there is every chance of a recurrence," Gloster, who has managed the likes of Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Ajit Agarkar during his stint with the Indian team, told PTI on the sidelines of a 2015 ICC World Cup promotional event.
For Gloster, the "fitness programme" for each and every fast bowler is different from one another.
"Varun Aaron bowls at 90 miles per hours while Bhuvneshwar Kumar barely touches 80 miles. The fitness programme for both would be entirely different as workload also varies completely," said Gloster, who is currently attached with the IPL team Rajasthan Royals.
On Ishant Sharma`s recurring ankle problem, Gloster said that bowling in English conditions is completely different because of the "pounding that the feet takes on softer grounds".
"As far as I know, Ishant`s rehab went well. Now the problem is that a fast bowler, who does not have an experience of playing county cricket in England will have difficulties on the softer turfs. The pounding that a fast bowler`s ankles take on landing is enormous.
"That`s why it is so important for Indian boys to go and play county cricket. Look at Zak (Zaheer Khan). A season with Worcestershire and he was a changed bowler. I have worked with Surrey and I feel that players learn more about maintaining their fitness while playing county cricket," Gloster said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble