Can Simon Kerrigan end England`s hunt for a frontline spinner?
Zee Media Bureau/ Suyash Srivastava
New Delhi: Even though he has played just one Test for England, the selectors have once again shown faith in Simon Kerrigan, who has been included in the 14-member squad for the Lord`s Test.
Kerrigan`s inclusion is believed to be a gamble from the English selectors, as he didn`t have an impressive debut against the Australians last year, where he conceded 53 runs from 8 overs.
Alastair Cook desperately missed a frontline spinner in the first Test, where he used Moeen Ali and Joe Root to bowl spin. The track didn`t have much assistance for the pacers, and under such circumstances, a spinner could have done the job for Cook.
After the retirement of Graeme Swann, England are going through a transition phase and are struggling to find a spinner. Monty Panesar is one of the options, but the ECB isn`t contemplating to recall the left-arm spinner considering his involvement in several controversies.
Kerrigan has had a decent season for Lancashire, but it is yet to be seen whether he can release some pressure off Cook, who is under the scrutiny for his personal form and decisions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred