Can Simon Kerrigan end England`s hunt for a frontline spinner?
Zee Media Bureau/ Suyash Srivastava
New Delhi: Even though he has played just one Test for England, the selectors have once again shown faith in Simon Kerrigan, who has been included in the 14-member squad for the Lord`s Test.
Kerrigan`s inclusion is believed to be a gamble from the English selectors, as he didn`t have an impressive debut against the Australians last year, where he conceded 53 runs from 8 overs.
Alastair Cook desperately missed a frontline spinner in the first Test, where he used Moeen Ali and Joe Root to bowl spin. The track didn`t have much assistance for the pacers, and under such circumstances, a spinner could have done the job for Cook.
After the retirement of Graeme Swann, England are going through a transition phase and are struggling to find a spinner. Monty Panesar is one of the options, but the ECB isn`t contemplating to recall the left-arm spinner considering his involvement in several controversies.
Kerrigan has had a decent season for Lancashire, but it is yet to be seen whether he can release some pressure off Cook, who is under the scrutiny for his personal form and decisions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145