Cheteshwar Pujara, Virat Kohli slip in ICC rankings for Test batsmen
Dubai: South Africa`s AB de Villiers continues to head the Reliance ICC Rankings for Test batsmen while compatriot Hashim Amla returned to the top three. Poor performances from India`s Chetseshwar Pujara and Virat Kohli in the third Test against England saw them slip down in the rankings released Friday.
Pujara slipped two places down from eight to round off the top 10 while Kohli, who is having a nightmarish series in England, dropped one place to 15th.
The only positive news for the India batsmen was the improvement in Ajinkya Rahane`s rankings. The middle-order batsman scored 54 and 52 not out to rise nine places to a career-best 26th position.
Amla, who scored 139 not out and 25 in Colombo to inspire his side back to the number-one Test ranking, has earned 34 ratings points for his achievement, which has help him leapfrog Australia`s David Warner and Shivnarine Chanderpaul of the West Indies into third position.
He now trails second-ranked Kumar Sangakkara by 11 ratings points, while De Villiers is sitting on top of the tree on 899 ratings points.
At The Rose Bowl, England`s colossal first innings total of 569 for seven declared revolved around Ian Bell`s 167, Gary Ballance`s 156, captain Alastair Cook`s 95 and debutant wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler`s 85.
In the second innings, Cook contributed 70 not out, Ballance chipped in with 38 and Bell scored 23. As such, there were no surprises when the latest rankings reflected significant changes to their respective rankings.
Bell has gained five places to return to the top 20 in 19th position, Ballance has rocketed 16 places to a career-best 31st spot, Cook has moved up seven places to 22nd spot and Buttler has made an entry on the table in 63rd spot.
Meanwhile, Dale Steyn leads the bowling rankings.
Sri Lankan spinner Rangana Herath moved seven places to get into the top 10 while James Anderson and Moeen Ali of England have also headed in the right direction.,
India’s Ravindra Jadeja and Bhuvneshwar Kumar have also improved their rankings. After gaining three places, Jadeja is now in 25th spot while Kumar is now in 32nd position after rising two places.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India