Flower launches impassioned defence of Cook
London: Former England coach Andy Flower has launched an impassioned defence of Alastair Cook, describing the under-fire captain as a cricketer who has achieved extraordinary things for his country and still has plenty to offer.
Zimbabwean Flower stepped down after the 5-0 Ashes drubbing around the New Year and used his first major interview since leaving the job to back Cook, whose captaincy in last month`s test series defeat to Sri Lanka was widely derided.
"He is an outstanding cricketer and we, the English public, should be proud of having Alastair Cook as one of our own, leading the test side.
"It seems to be forgotten, and people should not forget, that this is a young man, a 29-year-old man, who has done some extraordinary things for his country," he added.
"He has scored the most test centuries for his country – that in itself is an amazing achievement, and he`s got so much more left to give."
Flower said it was important not to forget that England had experienced great successes under Cook`s captaincy as well as the recent failures.
"He`s led the one-day side for a while now and has got the most one-day wins of any England captain," he told the paper.
"He`s led the side to an astounding test victory in India, against the odds, and in the main on pitches which England have traditionally struggled on, and tactically he was excellent in India. If he hadn`t been, we would not have won.
"He has led the England side to a 3-0 test victory against Australia.
"I know a lot of people have dumbed down that test victory but what would we not give for a 3-0 victory against Australia now? And this guy is only just embarking on his leadership career."
Although not alone, Cook`s most vocal critic over the last 12 months has been Australia spin-bowling great Shane Warne, who described his captaincy in the second test against Sri Lanka at Headingley as the worst he had seen in 25 years in the game.
Warne, who made his attack in a column in the Sunday Telegraph`s daily stablemate, suggested Cook step away from the captaincy, or even from cricket altogether, and concentrate on recovering his batting form.
Flower, though, said England fans should make up their own minds about Cook`s captaincy and allow him the space to learn from his mistakes.
"They should not be duped into thinking otherwise by those that have the platform to shout loudest," Flower said.
"They should make their own judgment about a fine, proud Englishman leading the England cricket team.
"He would still acknowledge he is learning all the time. But who of us isn`t learning? I know I`ve learnt a hell of a lot in the last couple of years and I`m 46.
"Who are the ignorant ones? Is it a guy like Alastair or is it the people who keep making the same mistakes over and over again in their lives?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm