Glad that IPL shut the door on me, says Alex Hales
London: Having received his maiden call-up in the England ODI squad, hard-hitting batsman Alex Hales feels that the IPL snub he got during last edition, helped him turn into a better player.
In 2013, Nottinghamshire refused to release him for the IPL and during the last edition, dashing batsman was not picked up by any of the franchises.
"Had I got picked up in the IPL who knows whether we would have been having this conversation now," Hales told the Daily Telegraph in an interview.
"I am almost glad that the door shut on me in the IPL and it has given me the chance to work hard on my four-day game. Had I gone to India it would have all been T20 and whacking the ball rather than technique and building and compiling innings,"
Hales summed up about how he felt about the cash-rich league. Hales said that playing Test cricket for England was a priority.
"After the Big Bash, I had a lot of time away to think about four-day cricket and discover that hunger for runs again and building an innings and working hard on my technique. I`m really happy that I have reaped the rewards this year."
Part of that thinking would have been driven by the disappointment of not winning a contract in the Indian Premier League, almost unheard of for a player in the top three of the international T20 batting rankings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre