India cruise to five-wicket warm-up win
Derby: India cruised to a five-wicket win over Derbyshire in their second and final warm-up match on Thursday before next week`s first Test against England.
Despite a lacklustre last day in Derby, the tourists go into the Trent Bridge Test having seen a much-needed improvement in their seam attack.
In a match relieved of its first-class status by the tourists` wish to rotate as many of their 18-strong squad as possible, they were barely troubled.
Derbyshire managed only 156 for three in their second innings before their mandatory 45-over declaration, leaving India just 142 to win in their equal share of the scheduled 90 overs.
The early departure of Shikhar Dhawan, lbw to Matt Higginbottom, put India on the back foot but opening partner Murali Vijay clicked into form before foregoing the opportunity of a cheap 50, becoming the seventh batsman to retire out in two matches.
Ajinkya Rahane was the eighth, and then Rohit Sharma edged a drive at David Wainwright to slip - allowing Gautam Gambhir batting practice as India eased over the line with 8.3 overs to spare.
Derbyshire had lost opener Ben Slater, edging Bhuvneshwar Kumar to second slip for a duck after India`s overnight declaration by pre-arrangement on 341 for six.
Derbyshire`s captain Chesney Hughes escaped on seven but did go when an attempted cut off Stuart Binny was edged behind to give the all-rounder a wicket with only his second delivery.
In 16 overs after lunch, Derbyshire put on another 94 runs for the loss of only Paul Borrington`s wicket, lbw soon to Mohammed Shami.
Billy Godleman then doubled the total in a brisk, unbroken stand with Alex Hughes (36no), but the total was nowhere enough to stretch India`s batsmen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video