India vs England 2014: Rare failure for Cheteshwar Pujara
Zee Media Bureau/ Suyash Srivastava New Delhi: He was expected to be one of the highest run-scorers in the five-match Test series between India and England. Some experts were of the opinion that he would have at least a couple of centuries in his kitty by the end of the last Test. But that wasn`t the case, as Cheteshwar Pujara managed to score just one half-century from ten innings. Pujara scored 222 runs in 10 innings with 55 being his highest score at a poor average of 22.20 in the series. MS Dhoni and his men were humiliated in the last two Tests where India were beaten inside three days - losing both by an innings. Pujara, who has been a run-machine in the Indian domestic circuit, surprisingly, was often dismissed after getting starts. English pacers James Anderson and Stuart Broad bowled a brilliant line outside the off-stump to both Pujara and Virat Kohli, who were often dismissed caught behind the stumps. Pujara is believed to have the best technique in the current Indian Test line-up and the reason behind his struggle has been extremely surprising for most of his fans. To overcome his weakness on seaming tracks, Pujara had sought permission from the BCCI to play in the remainder of the English county season and was allowed to do so by the Board. India will play West Indies in the forthcoming tour, post which they will leave for a four-match Test series against Australia. Considering India`s dismal performances in overseas series of late, they need their champion batsman to get back to form as soon as possible.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata