India vs England 2014: Sanju Samson, Karn Sharma get maiden ODI call-up
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Prolific young wicketkeeper-batsman Sanju Samson and leg-spinner Karn Sharma received maiden call-up into the Indian squad as selectors on Tuesday announced the team for the upcoming limited-overs cricket series against England.
Both Samson and Karn were included in the 17-member squad.
MS Dhoni will lead the team against England in five ODIs and a one-off Twenty20, starting August 25. Virat Kohli will be his deputy.
The BCCI confirmed the news through their official account on micro-blogging site Twitter.
ODIs/T20ITeam: MSD(C), Virat, Shikhar, Rohit, Rahane, Raina, Jadeja, Ashwin, Binny, Bhuvi, Shami, Mohit, Rayudu, Umesh, Dhawal, Samson, Karn
— BCCI (@BCCI) August 5, 2014
While Stuart Binny was retained in the ODI squad, it was heartbreak for the likes of Yuvraj Singh and Zaheer Khan as both the stalwarts were ignored by the selectors. Ishant Sharma, who is also a part of the Indian Test team touring England, was also snubbed by the selectors for the ODIs.
New faces Sanju Samson and leg-spinner Karn Sharma were rewarded for their hard work as they performed extremely well for India A. Dhawal Kulkarni was also included in the 17-member squad.
Surprisingly, Robin Uthappa was excluded from the squad despite performing well during IPL 2014. Leg-spinner Amit Mishra was ruled out due to an injury.
Squad: MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Virat Kohli, Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Ajinkya Rahane, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Stuart Binny, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammed Shami, Mohit Sharma, Ambati Rayudu, Umesh Yadav, Dhawal Kulkarni, Sanju Samson (wk), Karn Sharma
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials