Picking five bowlers is a positive move, says Rahul Dravid
London: Former India captain Rahul Dravid termed Indian team management`s decision to include five specialist bowlers as a positive move.
"It is a very courageous move, a very positive move in my opinion," Dravid told reporters at the Laureus Academy function here today.
"In the past, India have been a bit scared to play with five bowlers especially overseas. But I thought MS Dhoni and Duncan Fletcher were pretty brave to play five bowlers."
Dravid compared Stuart Binny`s role with that of Sanjay Bangar`s during the Leeds Test back in 2002 while stating that Irfan Pathan also did perform that role for a brief period during Dravid`s captaincy.
"Yes, Irfan Pathan did it for my team for a little while. But every captain wants to play five bowlers. So if you can play five bowlers, you should. Unfortunately, in the past we couldn`t do it a lot, just that the personnel weren`t available to us. It is a lot easier if you have someone like Kapil Dev in your side," Dravid added.
Dravid played the role of mentor for the Indian team ahead of the first Test and gave valuable tips to his new wards. He didn`t commit on a permanent coaching role though.
"In my work with Rajathan Royals, I have often interacted with many of these young players. But it was fine spending time with them as mentor and even training with them. I just enjoyed my week with the Indian team. They are a great bunch of boys, very keen to learn, and at very early stages in their careers. They will get better the more they get to play," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why