Picking five bowlers is a positive move, says Rahul Dravid
London: Former India captain Rahul Dravid termed Indian team management`s decision to include five specialist bowlers as a positive move.
"It is a very courageous move, a very positive move in my opinion," Dravid told reporters at the Laureus Academy function here today.
"In the past, India have been a bit scared to play with five bowlers especially overseas. But I thought MS Dhoni and Duncan Fletcher were pretty brave to play five bowlers."
Dravid compared Stuart Binny`s role with that of Sanjay Bangar`s during the Leeds Test back in 2002 while stating that Irfan Pathan also did perform that role for a brief period during Dravid`s captaincy.
"Yes, Irfan Pathan did it for my team for a little while. But every captain wants to play five bowlers. So if you can play five bowlers, you should. Unfortunately, in the past we couldn`t do it a lot, just that the personnel weren`t available to us. It is a lot easier if you have someone like Kapil Dev in your side," Dravid added.
Dravid played the role of mentor for the Indian team ahead of the first Test and gave valuable tips to his new wards. He didn`t commit on a permanent coaching role though.
"In my work with Rajathan Royals, I have often interacted with many of these young players. But it was fine spending time with them as mentor and even training with them. I just enjoyed my week with the Indian team. They are a great bunch of boys, very keen to learn, and at very early stages in their careers. They will get better the more they get to play," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security