Root becomes highest-ranked England batsman
Dubai: Joe Root became England`s highest-ranked Test batsman after hitting his fourth century in the Trent Bridge match against India which ended in a draw Sunday.
The 23-year-old from Yorkshire scored a fine 154 not out and featured in a record 198-run 10th-wicket stand with James Anderson (81). For this achievement, Root has been rewarded with a jump of 10 places in the ICC rankings which has put him in a career-high 16th position. Root had started the season in 38th and after three Tests, he has moved into 16th, gaining 22 places.
Ian Bell is England`s second highest-ranked batsman in 20th while captain Alastair Cook is in 25th.
Also making good progress are England`s other young guns - Gary Ballance and Sam Robson. Ballance, who scored 71, has gained 13 places and is now in 70th position while Robson`s 59 has helped him rise 16 places to 78th.
In the ICC rankings for Test bowlers, England`s Stuart Broad is one of the biggest movers. Broad returned match figures of 4/103 which has helped him rise four places to 10th.
Meanwhile, the two-Test series between Sri Lanka and South Africa starts in Galle Wednesday with the tourists in with a chance to reclaim No.1 position in the ICC Test team standings.
To regain the spot which South Africa lost to Australia after the annual update May 1, they need to win the series which will be enough to put Hashim Amla`s men ahead of Michael Clarke`s. In this scenario, South Africa will move one point ahead of Australia while a 2-0 series win will put the visitors on 126 points.
On the other hand, if Sri Lanka win the series, then they will leapfrog England into fifth position while a 2-0 win will mean they will finish ahead of Pakistan and England in fourth spot.
The series will feature the top three batsmen in the world - No.1 ranked AB de Villiers, second-ranked Kumar Sangakkara and third-ranked Hashim Amla - and two of the three best bowlers - No.1 ranked Dale Steyn and third-ranked Vernon Philander.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA