Senior players have got to look at their game, says Peter Moores
London: Livid with England`s performance so far in the ongoing Test series against India, coach Peter Moores feels the senior players need to raise their game by several notches for the side to make a comeback in the five-match rubber.
England are trailing 0-1 in the series after losing by 95 runs in the second Test at Lord`s. "We all need a kick up the backside sometimes," said Moores was quoted as saying by `The Mirror`."
"If you think it`s a wasted opportunity because people aren`t trying, you`re going to kick them up the backside - because they`re not putting in," he said.
"What has got to happen is the senior players have got to look at their own games and decide how they are going to come back and play to the level needed to be in a successful England team," he added.
Moores said only those who are capable of coming good in tough circumstances deserve to stay in the team.
"We`ve got a clear picture of where we`re trying to get to. We want to play in a way people will be proud of. As selectors, we`ve got to pick the guys we think can achieve that," he said.
"I thought Moeen (Ali) had his best game with the ball and he is improving all the time. We`ve lost some key players including our spinner and it takes time for that to be developed."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 33 rescued lions arrive in South Africa in airlift
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover set floor ablaze with killer moves at wedding reception – Watch here
- Petrol, diesel-run cabs banned from Delhi-NCR roads from today
- Wealth from waste: A novel Indian biotech solution
- IAF chopper sprinkles water to douse Uttarakhand forest fires; Rajnath Singh reviews situation