Time for Cheteshwar Pujara to put heavy price tag on his wicket
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: Since the retirement of `the wall` Rahul Dravid, Cheteshwar Pujara has been seen as his successor. And thus far, the right-handed batsman has proved his worth in the longest format of the game by scoring 1814 runs in 21 Tests, with a healthy average of 56.68. In such a short span he has scored six Test tons and five fifties as well.
The Saurashtra batsman possesses everything required for a Test batsman to excel in the toughest format of the game. From right temperament to good technique to patience, Pujara has all the traits required to score big runs in Tests. But while a playing much hyped Test series, like the one India are playing at the moment against England at their home, Pujara has to make sure that he puts a huge price tag on his wicket.
As a one down batsman, he needs to understand that he is the backbone of the Indian batting line-up and should take more responsibility on his shoulders.
In all the four innings in the first two Test against England, Pujara has got starts but failed to convert them into a big scores. In the first Test at Nottingham, he scored 38 and 55, whereas, in the next Test at Lord`s, Pujara got out on 23 and 43.
Pujara should take a cue from arguably less technical batsmen in the Indian team like Murali Vijay and for that matter Bhuvneshwar Kumar, who played key roles, especially with the bat, to give India a crucial 1-0 lead in the five-match long Test series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical