Vaughan, Swann feel Cook should be axed as England`s ODI team captain
London: Former England skipperMichael Vaughan and retired spinner Graeme Swann believe that Alastair Cook should be axed as the captain of the England one-day team.
Swann believes there is not a cat in hell`s chance of Cook leading England to World Cup glory.
The damning assessment came in an hour-long chat on the BBC before the first Royal London ODI against India was abandoned without a ball being bowled, The BBC reported.
They targeted Cook, Ian Bell and Gary Ballance because more power is needed with the bat in hand.
Swann said that he is the biggest England fan going but he doesn`t think that they have got a cat in hell`s chance in Australia. He added that he love`s Cook dearly, but he does not think he should be bothering playing ODI cricket anymore.
Swann said that England is playing a 10-year-old game. He added that the sponsors here areRoyal London and the tagline on their adverts is, `We`re so yesterday`.
The former spinner said that they couldn`t sum up the England one-day team any more. He added that he would love to see some young, exciting, vibrant players picked and strip away the old-fashioned nature of their selections and one-day game.
Swan said that he wouldn`t have Cook, Bell and Gary Ballance in the team in front of him, and added that he would have James Vince, James Taylor and Ravi Bopara.
Meanwhile, Vaughan added that England has made the same mistake now as in his time.
Vaughan said that Cook will do half a job as a batsman and he does not think the skipper will winEngland games as a tactician in one-day cricket.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre