2nd Test: Rahane shines at Basin Reserve with maiden ton
Zee Media Bureau/Yogesh Pandey
Wellington: India have tightened noose against New Zealand on Day 2 of the second Test at Basin Reserve, kudos to Ajinkya Rahane`s blistering ton and skipper MS Dhoni`s magnificent half-century that came at a time when India was struggling at 228 for 6 after lunch.
Rahane hit 118 runs studded with 17 fours and a massive six in the deep mid-wicket, provided the stability in batting line-up after Virat Kohli`s departure off Wagner at cover. Rahane`s innings was no less a One-Day knock, as he used mere 158 balls for reaching his highest score in Test career.
The right-handed batsman hit a four off Corey Anderson by pulling him through the mid-wicket region to complete his first Test hundred in style and had never looked on the tenterhooks while being very close to the feat.
Today his batting possessed a perfect blend of patience and aggression. He showed resilience to the attacking deliveries and punished the loose ones.
The century will surely help him to cement his place in India`s Test squad, as he failed to perform in the first Test against the Kiwis.
The 25-year-old batsman took five Test matches to slam a hundred and that too on the green top of Basin Reserve, where wind too gave fair assistance to seamers. It also showed the impeccable maturity of Rahane as a middle-order batsman.
Earlier, against Proteas in Durban Test, he scored two half-centuries, in one of which, he missed his maiden ton by four runs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral