2nd Test: 'Run-machine` Virat Kohli scores match saving ton
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Wellington: The new `run machine` of Indian cricket, Virat Kohi once again scored a cracking ton on the last day of the second and final Test against New Zealand at Basin Reserve on Tuesday.
Kohli`s ton came at a crucial time, when India lost their openers in a quick succession, while chasing an impossible target of 435 with only 67 overs remaining. Both the openers – Shikhar Dhawan and Murali Vijay – went back to the pavilion inside first five overs, that too within a gap of two balls. Things slipped out of hand when India lost Cheteshwar Pujara too in the 22nd over and were reeling at 55 for three at one stage.
But the Delhi batsman came to the rescue of Team India, for one more occasion. Kohli first completed the fifty-run mark in the 32nd over by placing Jimmy Neesham towards square leg for a double. And then he went on to score his sixth Test ton by smashing boundaries all over the park. It was a sheer class from the right-hander as he kept pulling, cutting and driving the New Zealand bowlers throughout his innings.
He completed his hundred in style by hitting Wanger for picture perfect straight drive. Kohli used mere 129 balls to reach the milestone. He cracked thirteen boundaries and a six to reach the mark. His knock made sure that India draw the match safely.
Along with Rohit Sharma he added a unbeaten 122-run stand for the fourth wicket which helped India to draw the Test without losing any further wickets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video