2nd Test: 'Run-machine` Virat Kohli scores match saving ton
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Wellington: The new `run machine` of Indian cricket, Virat Kohi once again scored a cracking ton on the last day of the second and final Test against New Zealand at Basin Reserve on Tuesday.
Kohli`s ton came at a crucial time, when India lost their openers in a quick succession, while chasing an impossible target of 435 with only 67 overs remaining. Both the openers – Shikhar Dhawan and Murali Vijay – went back to the pavilion inside first five overs, that too within a gap of two balls. Things slipped out of hand when India lost Cheteshwar Pujara too in the 22nd over and were reeling at 55 for three at one stage.
But the Delhi batsman came to the rescue of Team India, for one more occasion. Kohli first completed the fifty-run mark in the 32nd over by placing Jimmy Neesham towards square leg for a double. And then he went on to score his sixth Test ton by smashing boundaries all over the park. It was a sheer class from the right-hander as he kept pulling, cutting and driving the New Zealand bowlers throughout his innings.
He completed his hundred in style by hitting Wanger for picture perfect straight drive. Kohli used mere 129 balls to reach the milestone. He cracked thirteen boundaries and a six to reach the mark. His knock made sure that India draw the match safely.
Along with Rohit Sharma he added a unbeaten 122-run stand for the fourth wicket which helped India to draw the Test without losing any further wickets.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Is your Indian passport among those to be declared invalid from November 25, 2015?