New Zealand looking to deliver knockout blow to India in third ODI
Hamilton: Having gone 2-0 up in the five-match series against India after a 15-run victory in Hamilton, New Zealand is now desperate to land the knockout blow by winning their next game and go up in the ranking table by winning the series.
New Zealand head to Auckland for third ODI on Saturday which could secure them a valuable series win. India is also desperate for a fightback in order to regain the world No 1 ranking from Australia.
Brendon McCullum said that they are playing some decent cricket at the moment and the challenge for them is to keep putting it together, because they know India is going to keep improving.
Eden Park`s fast wicket will see Hamish Bennett likely brought into the playing XI, Fairfax NZ News reports.
McCullum said New Zealand weren`t at their best in the field on Wednesday, but despite that, still found a way to win, which does wonders for their confidence.
India slipped to No.2 in the ODI rankings following their 15-run defeat by New Zealand in the second one-day international on Wednesday at Seddon Park, Hamilton.
Despite rain interrupting New Zealand`s innings at 167 for 2 after 33.2 overs, the hosts won the game by the Duckworth/Lewis method, which took them 2-0 up in the series after their first ODI win at Napier.
Needing to reach a target of 293, India made 277 at the loss of nine wickets despite valiant efforts by captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and first ODI-centurion Virat Kohli , and New Zealand kept producing timely wickets to pull India back every time they brought some semblance of parity to the chase.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says