Ryder, Bracewell fined over booze-up
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 09:52
  
Ryder, Bracewell fined over booze-upWellington: New Zealand Cricket (NZC) on Tuesday added a fine to Jesse Ryder and Doug Bracewell`s punishment for embarking on a late-night drinking spree ahead of the first Test against India in Auckland.

The pair had already been dropped from the Second Test by a furious coach Mike Hesson, although Bracewell was already out because he suffered a hand injury and broken foot in last week`s booze-fuelled blowout.

NZC head of cricket operations Lindsay Crocker said they had each accepted a misconduct charge and been fined an undisclosed amount.

Crocker said the biggest consequence for the pair, who both have form for alcohol-related incidents, was likely to be the damage to their relationship with New Zealand`s selectors.

"The New Zealand selectors place great emphasis on qualities such as personal responsibility, trustworthiness and dependability," he said.

"All players in contention for the Black Caps need to satisfy the selectors of their commitment to prepare conscientiously for international fixtures."

The pair have admitted drinking in a bar just hours before the start of the first Test last week, amid reports they were also involved in a scuffle.

CCTV footage has also been released showing Ryder needing assistance to get into a taxi at 3:00am after the one-day match against India in Auckland last month.

The drinking sessions have infuriated the rest of the New Zealand team as they overshadow media coverage of their dramatic 40-run win in the first Test with a day to spare.


Ryder, 29, who has only just returned to the international arena after a self-imposed exile 22 months ago to sort out personal issues, has a Test average of 40.93 from 33 innings.

Bracewell, 23, who has slipped down the pecking order of New Zealand fast bowlers in the past year, led New Zealand to their first Test win in Australia in 26 years when he took nine for 60 in Hobart in December 2011.

The pair were not in the starting XI for the first Test when they hit the town but they were on standby to play if there were any injuries.

The second Test begins in Wellington on Friday.
AFP

First Published: Tuesday, February 11, 2014, 09:52


comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular in News