Virat Kohli reaches career-best rankings of 9th in Tests
Dubai: Owing to his decent performance in the just-concluded two-Test series against New Zealand, India batsman Virat Kohli today rose to his career-best ninth position in the latest ICC Test rankings issued here on Wednesday.
Kohli, who made 214 runs in four innings, broke into top-10 for the first time in his career and joined compatriot Cheteshwar Pujara, who slipped a rung to be on seventh spot. Kohli jumped two places following his knocks of 38 and 105 not out in the Wellington Test, which ended in a draw.
Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin slipped two places to be at number 10 and is still the highest-ranked Indian bowler ahead of left-arm tweaker Pragyan Ojha (12th) in Test bowlers rankings.
New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum`s spectacular match-saving knock of 302 helped him jump eight places to a career-best 12th.
McCullum, who became the first Kiwi batsman to score a triple hundred, helped draw the second and final Test yesterday, to clinch the series 1-0.
McCullum`s partner in a world record sixth-wicket stand worth 352, BJ Watling, has also moved up the rankings, jumping three places to 45th as a result of his knock of 124. Two other centurions in the Wellington Test have also made upward moves in the latest table. While Ajinkya Rahane is now 46th (up by 15), New Zealand`s debutant century-maker Jimmy Neesham has entered the rankings in 59th place.
New Zealand`s Tim Southee moved up a place to a career-best ninth in the bowlers` list following his match haul of five for 143 in the Wellington Test against India. Meanwhile, Australia`s Mitchell Johnson has continued to storm through the charts in the bowlers rankings.
Johnson jumped five places to fourth following his spectacular match-winning haul of 12 for 127 in the Centurion Test against South Africa. Vernon Philander has ceded the number-one position in the bowlers` table to teammate Dale Steyn after a 55-day reign at the top.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre