Hyderabad: Statistical highlights of the opening day`s play in the first Test between India and New Zealand on Thursday.
• Cheteshwar Pujara (119 not out off 226 balls) has recorded his first century in Tests - his previous highest being 72 off 89 balls against Australia at M Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore in October 2010.
• Pujara`s aforesaid innings is the highest by an Indian batsman at Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Uppal, surpassing Harbhajan Singh`s unbeaten 111 off 116 balls against New Zealand in 2010-11. These two hundreds are the only ones for India at this venue.
• Thanks to his 15th hundred, Pujara is averaging 54.68 in first-class cricket, his aggregate being 4758.
• Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara have shared an invaluable partnership of 125 - the highest fourth wicket partnership at Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium, Uppal.
• The above stand, involving Kohli, in the highest in Tests. Before the Hyderabad Test, the only century stand shared by him in Tests was 114 with Wriddhiman Saha for the sixth wicket against Australia in January 2012.
• India (307/5) have posted 300 runs or more on the first day of a Test match for the fifth time against New Zealand.
• Sachin Tendulkar has been bowled 49 times in Tests. The top six batsmen with most bowled dismissals are - Rahul Dravid (55), Allan Border (53), Sachin Tendulkar (49), Jacques Kallis (45), John Reid (44) and Gundappa Viswanath (41).
• Gambhir and Sehwag became the first Indian opening pair and the fifth in Tests to aggregate 4,000 partnership runs or more - 4028 (ave 53.00) in 79 innings. Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes (WI) head the table with 6482, followed by Justin Langer & Matthew Hayden (Australia) - 5655, Alastair Cook and Andrew Strauss (England) - 4711 and Sanath Jayasuriya & Marvan Atapattu (Sri Lanka) - 4469.
• Overall, Sehwag and Gambhir became the tenth pair to amass 4,000 partnership runs - the record is held by Dravid and Tendulkar with 6920 runs at an average of 50.51 in 143 innings.