2nd Test, Day 2: India vs South Africa - As it happened...
Zee Media Bureau
Read our full coverage on: JACQUES KALLIS` RETIREMENT»
If you are a Sachin Tendulkar fan, you can have a look at Detailed slideshow about Sachin’s 100 centuries »
South Africa, 1st innings:
Over 20|| Score 82/0
Stumps: Petersen and Smith have put a formidable 82-run partnership for the first wicket so far. The South African openers batted with ease and South Africa now trail by 252 runs with all ten wickets remaining. The day was highly dominated by the hosts as a result of a magnificent spell by Dale Steyn who proved once again why one should never write him off. The Proteas pacers put up a brilliant show after the delayed start today, and Indian skipper MS Dhoni would want his seamers to come up with something similar on day three.
Alviro Petersen 46* (61b) Graeme Smith 35* (59b)
Over 10 || Score 40/0
South Africa made a confident start in their first innings as both their openers – Graeme Smith and Alviro Petersen scored two boundaries each in the first two overs. These two have added 40 runs in the first ten overs and are looking in no sort of hurry at the moment.
India, 1st innings:
Over 111.3 || Score 334/10
Shami was the last batsman to be dismissed as he chased a delivery from Morkel which had width on offer and he managed just an edge to Smith at the slip cordon. It has been an incredible comeback from South Africa as India were 320/5 at one stage and India lost their next five wickets for just 14 runs. Ajinkya Rahane remained unbeaten at 51 runs.
Mohammed Shami c Smith b Morkel 1 (6b)
Over 110 || Score 333/9
Steyn picked his fourth wicket of the match when Dhoni chased a delivery which had width on offer but managed just a nick to Graeme Smith at first slip. That wasn't the need of the hour and the Indian skipper would be disappointed with that shot. Ajinkya Rahane is playing a determined innings and he would want to show that he too deserves a permanent place in the Test squad. Ravindra Jadeja was the new man in, but his stay lasted for just six balls and he was dismissed by JP Duminy who picked his first wicket of the match as he edged one to Kallis who picked his 200th catch in Test cricket. Steyn went on to pick his five-fer as Zaheer Khan edged one to de Villiers and two balls later, Ishant Sharma did the same as India lost their ninth wicket. Rahane took a single off the first ball of Duminy's fourth over to reach his maiden half-century in Test cricket.
I Sharma c de Villiers b Steyn 4 (3b)
Z Khan c de Villiers b Steyn 0 (4m 2b)
RA Jadeja c Kallis b Duminy 0 (3b)
MS Dhoni c Smith b Steyn 24 (40b)
Over 100 || Score 289/5
After Kohli's departure, Rahane and Dhoni are in the process of building another crucial partnership for the sixth wicket. These two have scored 28 runs in the last ten overs and Dhoni would want this partnership to last for quite some time as these two are established batsmen and one more wicket would expose the Indian tail.
Over 90 || Score 261/4
India lost the big wicket of Virat Kohli who was dismissed by Morkel as he chased down a delivery on the leg side and edged it and AB de Villiers took a brilliant catch diving to his left. AB showed great anticipation on that occasion as he held on to a terrific catch. Rahane and Kohli added 66 runs for the sixth-wicket partnership. Skipper MS Dhoni is the new man in. India added 37 runs in the last ten overs.
V Kohli c de Villiers b Morkel 46 (87b)
Over 80 || Score 224/4
Kohli and Rahane have started to rebuild the innings and despite some good bowling from the South African pacers, these two have made sure India don't lose their fifth wicket. They have added 24 runs in the last ten overs. While Rahane scored 62 runs from two innings in the first Test and he would want to cement his place in the Test squad with a big one here. Kohli, on the other hand has been the most consistent batsman so for for India in the Test series.
Over 70 || Score 200/4
Steyn is back with a bang! After getting an early breakthrough for South Africa, Steyn picked two wickets in the 67th over off consecutive balls! Steyn first dismissed set batsman Murali Vijay who edged one to AB de Villiers and Rohit Sharma was bowled off the very next delivery. Steyn has probably brought South Africa back in the game with his three blows today. Ajinkya Rahane and Virat Kohli are the two new batsmen at the crease. Kohli has faced seven balls and is yet to open his account.
RG Sharma b Steyn 0 (1b)
M Vijay c de Villiers b Steyn 97 (226b)
Over 63 || Score 190/1
Steyn is sharing the ball with Morkel. Vijay got lucky on the third ball of the over, as he tried to play the ball through covers but didn't executed it well and it went passed the fifth slip for four. With that boundary and a single in the over, Vijay has reached to 96, just four short of his hundred.
Over 62 || Score 185/1
Morne Morkel bowled the first over of the day. And in the fourth ball, Pujara drove him through covers to collect first boundary of the day. What an elegant shot by this right-hander, a delight to watch.
Finally a good news for cricket lovers. Play will resume shortly. And if weather allows then the match would be extended by an hour.
After losing the first session of play due to rain, a ray of hope is still there, as the covers are coming off and weather is looking much better now or one can say much brighter now -- at least for cricket. Players are taking their Lunch and one can hope that play might resume after that. A reminder this Test is the 166th and last for South Africa all-rounder Kallis who made his debut against England on the same ground in 1995.
More bad news from Durban for the cricket lovers. Rain hasn't stopped yet. Indian team would have been more disappointed at the moment. And to be more precise Murali Vijay, who is just nine runs away form a magnificent hundred.
The start of the second day's play is being delayed due to rain. Play was to start half and hour earlier than scheduled after a curtailed opening day yesterday. Only 61 of the regulation 90 overs were bowled on the first day with India reaching 181 for one. The two teams had played out a thrilling draw in the opening Test.
Durban: Today, India will look to score a good enough total to give their bowlers a chance to target the Proteas. With nine wickets still intact, MS Dhoni`s men can hope to increase the run-rate a bit for a result, considering the way the series opener ended in a draw.
Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara shared an unbeaten century partnership before bad light stopped play on the first day of the second and final Test against India at Kingsmead on Thursday. India were 181 for one when the day`s play was brought to a premature end eight overs after tea. Vijay (91 not out) and Pujara (58 not out) put on 140 for the second wicket as South Africa`s bowlers toiled on an unresponsive pitch after Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni won the toss.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!