Our batsmen will fight it out on day five: Penney
Durban: India face a daunting task to save the second Test by batting out the final day but fielding coach Trevor Penney was upbeat about eking out a draw, saying his batsmen know very well what is required of them.
India have eight wickets in hand and a full day to bat against a fiery South African pace battery.
"The mood in the dressing room is just normal. Our batsmen know what their roles are and who the South African bowlers are. They have studied them and played against them. So we need to dig deep and fight the day out," Penney said.
"We have played good cricket over the last couple of weeks and the team is very upbeat about the possibility of trying to bat out on Monday," he added.
India lost one more wicket than they would have wanted when Shikhar Dhawan was out caught by Faff du Plessis, with the fielder pulling off a stunning catch at short mid-wicket.
"At this particular stage, he wasn`t very happy because the light was poor and they could have come off at any stage. I think he was pretty disappointed," said the coach, describing Dhawan`s mood.
Earlier in the day, Jacques Kallis stroked his way to 45th Test hundred in his last match to put South Africa in a dominating position.
India delayed the second new balls, bowling 146 overs with the first one, playing for time in this rain-curtailed match.
"It is a bit more variable with the old ball. We just wanted to test with reverse swing as well, that was the main reason. It didn`t really allow the new batsmen to settle down, as we were relying on reverse swing and thought that was the best strategy," Penney said.
When asked specifically, if the pacers were tired after their outing in Johannesburg was a reason, he denied it.
"We batted a quite a long time in this match and then the rain began to show up in the first couple of days. So the bowlers have also had a break. It is just that the South Africans batted well in that middle period, especially Jacques who dug in for a lot of balls. He just defended and then scored off the loose balls," Penny replied.
India`s stand-out bowler was Ravindra Jadeja who returned his best-ever figures in a Test innings, taking 6-138. Apparently, spin could be a factor on the final day if the weather opens up and the conditions are dry.
"Jadeja bowled a lot of overs and got his wickets. But it didn`t really spin, not every ball. I think we have the batsmen to deal with that," said Penney.
"Normally, the seamers are South Africa?s biggest threat, aren`t they? We have to see them off in the morning and obviously when the reverse swing comes into play. So even if we start well, the guys need to watch out as the day goes on," he warned the Indian batsmen, ahead of an important final day of this short tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi