Sometimes Indian bowlers get unwarranted criticism, says bowling coach Dawes
Durban: Indian bowlers might have drawn flak after failing to win the first cricket Test on a responsive wicket at Johannesburg, but bowling coach Joe Dawes backed his wards, saying "sometimes they get unwarranted criticism".
In the drawn first Test at Johannesburg, Indian bowlers couldn`t bowl out the hosts on a wicket that aided them, despite defending a mammoth 458-run target.
And it remains to be seen how many runs Mahendra Singh Dhoni will think are enough on what is the flattest Kingsmead pitch here seen in recent years.
"Yes, it was a disappointing that we couldn`t bowl them out on a pitch that was doing something. However, it was a matter of just one partnership that saved the match for them. It happens, that`s cricket for you," Dawes said after the opening day`s play of the second Test today.
"But sometimes the Indian bowlers get unwarranted criticism. So far we are yet to lose a Test this year, and we have won every ODI series except the one here in South Africa. They bowled well in the Champions Trophy and sometimes not so well in the sub-continent. At such times, criticism is merited. However, it gets over the top at most times," he added, defending his players.
India were in total control of the series-deciding second cricket Test against South Africa before bad light brought a premature end to the opening day`s play and Dawes expectedly couldn`t hide his disappointment.
The umpires took the two batsmen, Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara, along with the Proteas off, almost 90 minutes before the scheduled close of play.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray