Will Nelson Mandela`s demise affect India`s South Africa tour?
Zee Media Bureau
Johannesburg: India was playing its first match of the South African tour on Thursday, when the sad news came that the Nobel Peace laureate and South Africa`s first black president, Nelson Mandela, has died.
Speculations are rife that after the demise of the iconic South African leader, India’s current tour of South Africa might be called off, however, there is no official announcement in this regard as yet.
Mandela, a prominent political personality, hailed all over the world, died at his Johannesburg home surrounded by his family, after a long battle against lung infection.
This tour has already suffered a lot due to the tussle between the Board of Control for Cricket in India and Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) CEO Haroon Lorgat. Due to the spat, the much-hyped tour had already been shortened, consisting three One Day Internationals (ODIs) and two Test matches.
But the clouds over the tour have become darker now after the demise of Nelson Mandela.
CSA offered their first reaction over Twitter.
RIP Tata Mandela. It is because of you that a represented Proteas team can express their talent across the globe #mandela
— Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) December 5, 2013
Though in the first match, Indian team, that had won six ODI titles in a row, suffered a major blow as South Africa thrashed them by 141 runs in the first ODI match played at the New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know