India Vs Sri Lanka: As it happened
Feroz Khan/Zeenews Sports
Adelaide: The fifth ODI of the CB series ended in a dramatic tie that saw both India and Sri Lanka posting an identical scoreline of 237/9 in 50 overs.
Here is how the match panned out:
Highlights from the Indian innings
Over 50 MS Dhoni launched Malinga over extra cover, steals three runs. The contest ends in a tie!!!
Over 49.5 Out! Mathews direct hit sent Vinay Kumar packing.
Over 48.5 50 for Dhoni.
Over 47.3 Out! R Ashwin failed to read Malinga’s slower one and chipped it to Senanayake to be dismissed for 14. India were 212/7.
Over 41.3 Out! Ravider Jadeja was caught at short extra cover by Jayawardene to end his innings at 3. India were 184/6.
Over 40.3 Out! Heartbreak for Gambhir as he got out after scoring a brilliant 91. Dhoni played one towards mid on and called for a quick run but changed his mind in the middle, Gambhir who was already out of the crease failed to cover his ground on time. India were 178/5.
Over 40 India 178/4 with 10 overs remaining.
Over 34.3 150 up for India.
Over 27.4 Out! Suresh Raina`s rough patch continued. Malinga put one down the leg side, Raina looked to glance and got a bat on it. Sangakkara made no mistake behind stumps. India were 118/4.
Over 24.2 50 for Gambhir! The southpaw continued his good form in the series, batting unfazed reaching his 30th ODI fifty in 61 deliveries.
Over 21.4 Out! A brilliant effort from Sri Lankan skipper Mahela Jayawardene led to the downfall of Rohit Sharma. Gambhir played one towards backward point, Rohit called for a quick single and Jayawardene made a direct hit ending his innings at 15. India were 94/3.
Over 14.1 Out! Thisara Perera struck for Sri Lanka as he caught in-form batsman Virat Kohli in front of the wickets. Perera pitched it straight and full; Kohli tried playing it across but was found plumb. India were 61/2.
Over 12.2 50 up for India. It was a cautious approach from Gautam Gambhir and Virat Kohli after India lost their first wicket early.
Over 6 Out! Sachin Tendulkar stood still as he edges Kulasekara behind stumps to depart cheaply. Maintaining an outside off stump line, Kulasekara moved one slightly away, Tendulkar went for the drive, getting a thick edge to Sangakkara. India 24/1.
Over 1 Gautam Gambhir and Sachin Tendulkar took guard as Lasith Malinga started the first over for Sri Lanka.
Highlights from the Sri Lankan innings
Over 50 Sri Lanka lost two wickets in the final over while managing to collect only four runs. Lasith Malinga was the ninth wicket to fall as Sri Lanka ended their innings at 236/9.
Over 49.3 Out! Vinay got his third victim of the innings as he dismissed Nuwan Kulasekara for 12. Kulasekarta tried hitting out a short one from Vinay but was caught towards backward point by Gambhir.
Over 49 A good over for the Sri Lankans as they milked it for 12 runs. Irfan Pathan ended his spell (9-0-38-1).
Over 46.3 Out! Irfan bowled a full toss wide of off stump, Mathews edged it and started off for a single, Dhoni calmly collected the ball throwing it back towards the stump. Sri Lanka 210/7.
Over 39.4 Out! Thisara Perera left without disturbing the scoreboard much. R Ashwin tosses it up again in the innings to invite the lefty for an ambitious stroke but ended it playing in the safe hands of Virat Kohli at mid off. Sri Lanka 184/6.
Over 37.2 Out! A good work in the field by Rohit Sharma got India rid of dangerous Dinesh Chandimal as he was run out. He left after making a strong 81 (91b, 6X4, 1X6). Sri Lanka 178/5.
Over 36.2 Out! Vinay Kumar provides the important breakthrough for India as he traps Sri Lankan skipper Mahela Jayawardene in front of the wickets. Jayawardene didn’t look happy as the umpire raised his finger. He left after scoring 43 (49b, 2X4). Sri Lanka 173/4.
Over 34.4 Chandimal launched Jadeja for a six.
Over 32.2 150 up for Lanka.
Over 25.4 50 for Dinesh Chandimal! This was his second consecutive fifty of the series, previous one was also against India at Perth. Sri Lanka 116/3.
Over 24.4 100 up for Lanka with a boundary.
Over 19.4 Out! R Ashwin struck in his third over removing dangerous Kumar Sangakkara. The tweaker lured Sanga with a tossed up delivery, the lefty gave in to the temptation, charged down the ground but managed only a leading edge towards point. Gautam Gambhir completed the formality, pouching a sitter. Sri Lanka 79/3.
Over 15 After 15 Overs, Sri Lanka are 63/2.
Over 12 Speedster Umesh Yadav replaced Vinay Kumar as Dhoni made the first bowling change of the day.
Over 10 Sri Lanka 32/2 (RR: 3.20)
Over 7.1 Out! Dilshan slashed hard at Irfan Pathan’s delivery that was pitched outside off, moving back a little. The righty got a bottom edge to hand a low catch to Dhoni behind the stumps. Dhoni didn’t even bother to appeal as he collected his second catch of the day. Pathan struck in his comeback match to leave Sri Lanka 28/2.
Over 6.2 Dilshan launches Vinay Kumar for a six towards deep square leg.
Over 2 Irfan Pathan shared the new ball with Vinay. This is his second game for India in three years.
Over 1 Out! Vinay Kumar drew blood in the first over of the day as he removed Upul Tharanga in the first over of the day. It was a short of length delivery, moving slightly but Tharnaga with no regards to foot movement, poked and ended gifting a simple catch to MS Dhoni behind stumps. Sri Lanla 0/1
Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene won the toss elected to bat first in the Adelaide ODI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India