3rd ODI: Shikhar Dhawan slams ton, India win series 2-1 against West Indies
Zee Media Bureau/Suyash Srivastava
Kanpur: Shikhar Dhawan’s dream run in 2013 continued as the left-hander slammed yet another ton that guided Indian team to a five-wicket win against West Indies, with which India also clinched the series 2-1.
The highlight of the match was Shikhar Dhawan`s 119 off 95 balls and Yuvraj Singh`s patient knock of 55 runs as India won the match with 23 balls remaining.
Put in to bat first, Windies lost the wicket of Johnson Charles early in the innings. From there on, Kieran Powell and Marlon Samuels stitched a crucial 117-run partnership for the second wicket which was finally broken by Ashwin. West Indies lost some quick wickets in the middle overs but Darren Bravo and Darren Sammy added unbeaten 67 runs for the sixth wicket partnership which boosted their team’s score to 263 runs.
Ashwin was the pick of the Indian bowlers as he scalped two wickets, while Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammad Shami and Ravindra Jadeja picked one wicket each.
In reply, India lost the wicket of Rohit Sharma (4) and Virat Kohli (19) with 60 runs on the board. But Dhawan, who has been sublime form right throughout this year, once again rose to the occasion and along with Yuvraj Singh added 129 runs for the third wicket. Both these batsmen punished the Windies bowlers and even though Sunil Narine troubled Yuvraj on several occasions, the left-hander scored a half-century which would have come as a huge relief for him and the team management.
Towards the end, it was a cakewalk for the Indian team and Dhoni played a cut shot off spinner Permaul for the winning runs.
Dhawan was declared the Man of the Match while in-form Virat Kohli was adjudged the Man of the Series.
India will now tour South Africa where they will play three ODIs and two Test matches. The first Test will begin from December 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt