After Shami, Rohit Sharma makes dream Test debut
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Kolkata: Just before the start of the first Test against West Indies, two Indian players got their Test caps – Rohit Sharma and Mohammed Shami.
On day one, while bowling first, India bowlers bowled their heart out and bundled out the visiting team for a meager total of 234. The pick of the bowlers was undoubtedly Mohammed Shami. Apart from reverse swinging the ball at a decent pace, he also knocked the stumps of three West Indian batsmen including the highest scorer Marlon Samuels to finish with the figures of 71 for four in seventeen overs.
On day two, Rohit Sharma, who got his Test cap from Sachin Tendulkar – a man who is playing his farewell Test series – lived up to the expectations of everyone by playing a pivotal knock.
Ironically, Rohit came in to bat when Sachin Tendulkar was given out by the umpire, a decision which many believed was unfair. Team India was struggling at that moment, as they lost four wickets within 82 runs.
To add to their woes, Kohli also got out and half of the Indian team was back in the pavilion as the scoreboard read 83/5.
Then walked in Indian skipper MS Dhoni and he added 73 runs with Sharma before being dismissed by Tino Best for 42 runs.
When the Indian middle order collapsed, Rohit put a price on his wicket. He got a good company in R Ashwin and both of them took India through. They not only made sure that India crossed the 234-run mark, but also took India to a comfortable position by giving them the lead of 120 runs by the end of day 2.
In the 91st over, Rohit smashed three boundaries off Cottrell to complete his maiden ton. Rohit remained not out on 127 at stumps.
So far in his maiden knock, he has scored sixteen fours and a six. And along with Ashwin, he has stitched unbeaten 198 runs for the seventh wicket taking India to a commanding position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'