Bowler Sachin entertains Eden crowd
Kolkata: Sachin Tendulkar fans on Wednesday were left disappointed as they could not watch him bat on the opening day of his penultimate and 199th Test, but they had moments of celebration when he took a West Indian wicket here.
Die-hard Tendulkar fans would have loved to see him bat on the opening day of the first Test itself but they were left disappointed after India lost the toss. But they had something to cheer when a tricky delivery from Tendulkar deceived West Indies player Shane Shillingford and the whole stadium stood up to cheer the retiring senior batsman.
Shouting `Sachin Sachin` on the top of their voices and vigorously waving the Indian tri-colour, a festive atmosphere engulfed the stadium all of a sudden as Shillingford was adjudged LBW off Tendulkar on five in the 63rd over at the Eden Gardens. This was his 46th Test wicket.
In the two overs he bowled, Tendulkar gave only five runs, while grabbing a wicket.
It was at the same venue Tendulkar had conceded just three runs in the last over in the Hero Cup semifinal in November 1993 to deny South Africa a win.
Meanwhile, only half of the 70,000-seat capacity stadium were occupied today as West Indies batted first. Even after buying tickets, many people chose to wait for another day to see Tendulkar in action.
"I came here to see Sachin batting for the last time in my life. But when he took the wicket, we all got very excited as we know he is also a good bowler and loves to contribute to the game in whatever capacity he can," said Sachin fan Sudhir Kumar who has cheered the cricketer many times on the field.
As the Indian team ended the day with 37 for no loss in reply to West Indies` 234 all out, all eyes would be on Tendulkar tomorrow as he may get a chance to bat.
CAB officials said they expect a full-house tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh