Honour to be part of Tendulkar`s farewell series: Sammy
Kolkata: West Indies are honoured to be part of Sachin Tendulkar`s farewell series but their skipper Darren Sammy said their focus would be on the entire Indian cricket team and not only on the legendary batsman`s wicket during the two-match Test series beginning here from Wednesday.
"We`re honoured to play a series in India which will bring curtains down on Sachin`s career but we`re here to compete and play very hard cricket," Sammy told reporters at the pre-match press conference on Tuesday.
"He`s a great ambassador for the sport. He deserves all the hype and the praises he`s getting," the skipper added.
Despite all the frenzy that has been created around Tendulkar`s last two Tests, Sammy said his team was trying to "block out" all the distractions.
"For us, we will just look to block it out. At the end of the day, we`re here to play cricket. Whatever happens in the media or the opponent`s dressing room, it`s about us doing what we know we have to do very well and go out there and compete for five days of exciting cricket. Hope it will be," he said.
On the hype surrounding the retirement of Tendulkar, Sammy said the batting maestro had earned the respect for himself.
"That`s India you know. As for Sachin, everybody knows what he`s done for cricket not only in India but all over."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Hrithik Roshan – Kangana Ranaut legal tussle: Everything will come out soon, says actor
- Sidharth Malhotra chills like a boss! See pic
- Gold price extends gains, up Rs 200 per 10 grams
- Your travel cost to go down by 40% with India's first ever CNG two wheelers
- Lionel Messi announces international retirement after Copa America loss vs Chile