India vs West Indies, Day 1- Statistical highlights
Kolkata: Statistical highlights on day one of the first cricket Test between India and the West Indies at Eden Gardens, here on Wednesday.
• Mohammed Shami`s figures of four for 71 are the best by an Indian bowler on debut against West Indies at Eden Gardens, bettering the 4 for 94 by Ghulam Ahmed in December 1948.
• Ravichandran Ashwin has now taken Shivnarine Chanderpaul`s wicket three times in three Tests.
• Sachin Tendulkar claimed his fifth wicket in Tests at Eden Gardens - the highest by him at one ground. His best figures at this venue being three for 31 vs Australia in March 2001.
• Marlon Samuels` splendid 65 off 98 balls is his 19th half-century in Tests - his fifth vs India. In the course of his innings, he has completed his 500 runs against India, aggregating 564 runs (ave.37.60) in nine Tests.
• Samuels has recorded a hundred and three fifties in five Tests in India. His superb tally of 278 (ave.69.50) is the second highest by a West Indian player at Eden Gardens. Rohan Kanhai had total 346 (ave. 173.00) in two outings, including 256 in 1958-59 and 90 in 1966-67.
• Samuels` overseas average is 45.25 as compared to his home average of 27.68.