India's Virat Kohli reaches 5000 ODI runs, equals Vivian Richards’ record
Zee Media Bureau/Suyash Srivastava
Kochi: In the first ODI match between India and West Indies, Virat Kohli slapped James Holder for a six over deep midwicket to complete 5,000 runs in ODI cricket and equalled Vivian Richards record to score fastest 5,000 ODI runs in 114 innings.
The stylish right-hander needed 81 runs to level the record with the Windies legend and Kohli achieved the feat in style as he scored 86 runs from 84 balls where he hammered nine boundaries and two sixes.
Unfortunately, Kohli was dismissed by Holder off the very next ball as he attempted another massive stroke straight down the ground, but was caught by Sunil Narine at long-off.
The 25-year-old batsman who owns 17 ODI tons in just 120 matches has been in superb form in the last few years which had made him India’s most reliable batsman in all formats of the game.
Kohli came to the crease after Shikhar Dhawan was dismissed by Holder in the fourth over of the innings. From there onwards, he stitched a quick 133-run partnership for the second wicket with Rohit Sharma (72), and followed it with a 42-run partnership with Yuvraj Singh for the third wicket.
Indian team registered a comprehensive six-wicket win in the first ODI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it
- Two Mexican kidnappers sentenced to 520 years in prison