Lara, Aamir Khan extend best wishes to Tendulkar
Mumbai: West Indian cricket icon Brian Lara and Bollywood star Aamir Khan extended their best wishes to `Master Blaster` Sachin Tendulkar, as he wears the `National Blue` for the last time for his 200th Test match on home turf.
Lara said: "I want Sachin to get a lot of runs in this match. But I would also like to see West Indies victory. I would also like to congratulate and (wish) good luck to Shivnarain Chanderpaul ( West Indies cricketer) for his 150th Test match. It is a wonderful occasion, a momentous occasion, and I am happy to be here."
Aamir Khan said: "It is the most exciting day for all of us. India will not be batting today, so everyone is a bit disappointed. But, we will be able to see Sachin play tomorrow. I will definitely be coming tomorrow to see Sachin play. I will not miss it for anything."
Among thousands of Tendulkar fans, Mumbai`s famed `Dabbawalla`s said that the country is proud to have a cricket star like Tendulkar, and as a token of love, our association wants to present him with a Gandhi cap and special lunch box.
Former Indian cricketer, Kirti Azad said: "We have seen him (Sachin Tendulkar) for the past 25 years, and after he retires, it will be very painful for all of us, as he has made us proud many a times. I hope he makes us proud again and scores a double century in his 200th Test match."
Tendulkar is finishing a glittering 24-year career at his home ground, the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
Emotions are running high among cricket fans across India, and many are celebrating his farewell to cricket in their own unique way.
Tendulkar made his debut for India against Pakistan in Karachi in 1989 as a curly-haired 16-year-old. He has scored the most runs in Tests and one-day cricket and his 51 Test centuries and 49 ODI hundreds are also records.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why