R Ashwin: More than a handy batsman for India...
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Kolkata: Ravichandran Ashwin plays the role of a genuine off-spinner in the Indian team -- be it a Test, ODI and Twenty20. But slowly and steadily, the 27-year-old is turning out to be a handy batsman as well.
In the Kolkata Test, Ashwin came to crease when India were struggling at a score of 156 for six and only Rohit Sharma was the last recognized batsman left. To add to their woes, spinner Shane Shillingford was on fire.
But along with Rohit Sharma, he came to the rescue of the Indian team and for the seventh wicket, the duo added 280 runs.
Ashwin played a sensational knock of 124 runs in the first Test match, in which he faced 210 balls and smashed 11 boundaries. It was the second Test century of his career.
The most impressive part in his innings was the application. Apart from that, he played the spinners and fast bowlers equally well.
Even though he is expected to pick wickets for the team, Ashwin has certainly set high standards for himself as a batsman as well.
Interestingly, he was an opener before he took up off-spin. Even while playing the limited over games for India, he proved that he has proper cricketing shots. So, it would be interesting to see in the near future that whether he will continue playing such knocks for the team or not.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference