Roach doubtful starter for the 1st Test due to shoulder injury
Kolkata: The touring West Indies side have a couple of injury worries in fast bowler Kemar Roach and spinner Shane Shillinford but coach Ottis Gibson hopes that the duo would be fit before the opening Test beginning here next week.
Both the bowlers missed out on the three-day practice match against UPCA that concluded with a draw at the JU Saltlake Campus today due to shoulder injuries.
"Shane was supposed to play but then he slept badly on his neck and had a little bit of
shoulder problem so we rested him," Gibson told reporters after their warm-up match.
Giving an update about their main strike bowler Roach, the 44-year-old former pacer said:
"Kemar Roach has got a little bit of shoulder problem but he should be okay for next week. But it was good to see Sheldon Cotterrell getting a run and Tino too looked good."
The coach was hopeful that the duo would be fit in time before the two-Test series beginning here November 6.
"Everything is looking in course for the Test series. We`re pretty happy the way we`re at the moment."
In the duo`s absence, Sheldon Cotterrell (3/65) and left-arm spinner Veerasammy Permaul (46 not out and 3/124) impressed in the three-day match.
Asked whether he was consider a two-spin attack, Gibson said they would have to wait and see though Shillingford is likely to make the cut.
"Shillingford has been excellent for us in the last couple of Tests. It`s likely that he would play and then we would see who else could fit in to win the Test and put India under pressure."
Billed as Sachin Tendulkar`s farewell series, the West Indies will play two Tests and three ODIs in their tour of India.
The second Test is scheduled for November 14 at the Wankhede while the three ODIs will be played on November 21, 24 and 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday