Team India's farewell gift to Sachin a secret: Dhoni
Kolkata: India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Tuesday said the team was trying to focus on the cricket despite the frenzy around Sachin Tendulkar`s 199th Test match in his farewell series against the West Indies starting here on Wednesday.
He said the team was trying to keep distractions to minimum.
"It`s something that was expected. It`s always good to know such things in advance so that you can mentally prepare well. We have tried best to keep ourselves away from distractions and focus on cricket. So far so good. Once the game starts, I don`t think the team is entertaining anyone. I think we are sorted," Dhoni told reporters at the pre-match press conference.
Dhoni said nothing has changed, neither the preparation nor the mind-set, ever since the senior most cricketer announced his retirement from the international arena.
"As far as the last few days are concerned, it looked absolutely normal how we played the ODI series or the last series. The dressing room atmosphere is exactly the same. In a way, the guys have done well to maintain the atmosphere.”
"The focus has been brilliant so far. As far as the team is concerned, not thinking anything apart from cricket. There`re certain things that has to happen and will happen. You noticed something that`s been going for about last 10 years. Now that Sachin has announced his retirement, you`re noticing it more," he said.
The skipper said they`re just committed to win the series against the Caribbeans and then decide on dedicating it to Tendulkar.
"First and foremost, we need to focus on cricket and look to win the series. Once we have won the series, it`s always easier whom you want to dedicate it to. It`s always easy to do that," he said.
Dhoni said Tendulkar has always tried to reach out to youngsters and guide them.
"He's always been someone who interacts with youngsters and guides them on what needs to be done and the areas of improvement. I don't think any significant change now," he said of Tendulkar's discussion with youngsters at the nets on Tuesday.
Refusing to divulge their plans about the team's farewell gift to Tendulkar, Dhoni said: "We're keeping it a secret. Still one more Test to go after this."
It's been a hectic week for Team India, beating Australia 3-2 in a high-scoring seven-match ODI series last week.
Asked about the shift from the slam-bang version to Test cricket, Dhoni said: "We play a lot of cricket (these days), at times we have to adjust. Yes, there's another demand that comes from the format from ODIs to Test. It's not something we're doing it for the first time. Hopefully most of the guys are aware of it and prepare for it."
Dhoni also chose not to comment on the behaviour of the Eden pitch.
"We will see the wicket again tomorrow. They have watered it. Let it become dry completely to assess it. As of now I'll not comment anything on the wicket."
Curator Prabir Mukherjee drew a flak from Dhoni the last time around but the skipper laughed it off saying: "We've not dated as of now!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!