Test debutants Rohit Sharma, Mohammed Shami set the stage for Tendulkar`s send-off
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Kolkata: Mohammed Shami’s stupendous performance with the ball on his Test Debut in Kolkata against West Indies helped India set up the perfect send-off series for Sachin Tendulkar.
Two Indian players – Mohammed Shami and Rohit Sharma — made their Test debuts in the first match of the Test series against West Indies. And both the players hit the straps from their very first match.
Shami bowled exceptionally well in the first innings to scalp four West Indian wickets. In the second he bowled his heart out and made his bowling figures even better (a five-for) and demonstrated a fine spell of reverse swing which took the visitors by surprise. He finished the match with nine wickets to his name and played a pivotal role in giving India the lead in the two-Test series.
Like Shami who gave the batsmen a run for their money with his unplayable bowling, Rohit Sharma too had a dream debut. He received his Test cap from the man of the hour, Sachin Tendulkar and played an innings that would make the little master proud.
Rohit came to the crease when India was struggling at 82 for four and unfazed, he took India out of the doldrums with his remarkable knock of 177 runs, punctuated with 23 fours and a six. His match-winning partnership of 280 runs with R Ashwin for the seventh wicket blew Windies away.
So, the pick among the bowlers and batsmen in the first Test were undoubtedly the two Indian debutants, who played a crucial role in the first Test to prepare the stage for a victorious send-off for the farewell man – Tendulkar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez