Test debutants Rohit Sharma, Mohammed Shami set the stage for Tendulkar`s send-off
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
Kolkata: Mohammed Shami’s stupendous performance with the ball on his Test Debut in Kolkata against West Indies helped India set up the perfect send-off series for Sachin Tendulkar.
Two Indian players – Mohammed Shami and Rohit Sharma — made their Test debuts in the first match of the Test series against West Indies. And both the players hit the straps from their very first match.
Shami bowled exceptionally well in the first innings to scalp four West Indian wickets. In the second he bowled his heart out and made his bowling figures even better (a five-for) and demonstrated a fine spell of reverse swing which took the visitors by surprise. He finished the match with nine wickets to his name and played a pivotal role in giving India the lead in the two-Test series.
Like Shami who gave the batsmen a run for their money with his unplayable bowling, Rohit Sharma too had a dream debut. He received his Test cap from the man of the hour, Sachin Tendulkar and played an innings that would make the little master proud.
Rohit came to the crease when India was struggling at 82 for four and unfazed, he took India out of the doldrums with his remarkable knock of 177 runs, punctuated with 23 fours and a six. His match-winning partnership of 280 runs with R Ashwin for the seventh wicket blew Windies away.
So, the pick among the bowlers and batsmen in the first Test were undoubtedly the two Indian debutants, who played a crucial role in the first Test to prepare the stage for a victorious send-off for the farewell man – Tendulkar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered