Warm welcome from fans as Sachin Tendulkar reaches Kolkata for his 199th Test
Kolkata: Sachin Tendulkar on Sunday received a warm but chaotic welcome with a few hundred fans gathering outside the airport to get glimpse of the iconic cricketer as he reached the city for his 199th and penultimate Test match scheduled to be played against West Indies from November 6.
As the news of his 8.40pm arrival spread, suddenly about 300-odd crowd chanting `Sachin, Sachin` assembled at the new terminal of the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport.
Such was the excitement that it took around 10 minutes for Tendulkar`s convoy to clear the way for him as he along with his Mumbai teammate Ajinkya Rahane headed to the team hotel Taj Bengal in New Alipore.
But Tendulkar, wearing a casual T-shirt, was seen in a jovial mood as he waved to the crowd and even obliged a fan with his autograph.
Here to play the penultimate Test match of his illustrious career, Tendulkar was given a befitting reception by the Cricket Association of Bengal officials who presented the seniormost player a giant bouquet of 199 roses.
The CAB officials also offered him prasad having offered a puja to Goddess Kali on Saturday at the Dakshineshwar temple.
"He was quite impressed and told me to bring this to his hotel with utmost care. We want him to score a century in his last Test at the Eden by the blessing of the Almighty," CAB joint secretary Subir Ganguly said.
Focussed on the his two-Test farewell series against the West Indies, Tendulkar did not talk to the media and even refused a gala dinner party which was planned by the CAB on the eve of the match.
"Cricket is his priority at the moment. He politely told us that he will not be able to take part in the dinner. But he promised to come for any future function," Ganguly said.
Cheteshwar Pujara too came with Tendulkar, while Indian pacer Umesh Yadav arrived in another flight as the whole Indian Test squad had arrived skipping Diwali celebrations.
Indian team is scheduled to practise at the Eden Gardens from 10 am on Monday, while the visiting West Indies would train in the afternoon session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why