We are more confident in limited overs format: Dwayne Bravo
Kochi: Seeking to put the humiliating Test-series defeat behind them, West Indies captain Dwayne Bravo on Wednesday said his team is more comfortable and confident in playing the limited-overs format as it gives them freedom to express themselves.
"This format (ODIs) gives us more freedom. In Tests, it is about balance of skills and other things. It is a different story altogether here. The Test series loss is behind us now. We see ourselves more comfortable with this format and more confident too," Bravo told reporters on the eve of first one-dayer here.
Bravo, who joined the team for the ODI series, said they are aware of the challenge in front of them, and is expecting his players to put their best foot forward.
"We are aware of playing the world champions. We respect their strengths but at the same time we know as to what we need to do to win matches. It is not going to be easy. We will represent ourselves well in the coming one day series," he said.
The recent matches against Australia witnessed totals over 300 being scored frequently and Bravo said he would want his bowlers to bowl better than their Indian counterparts.
"It happened in different conditions and different venues and different bowlers as well. So, our bowlers are mostly in different mould of talents. If we can bowl better in this series than India, it will be better for us.
"I think One-day and T20 cricket gives you more freedom. One player could be turn out to be a match winner. That is why this format is rather easy for us playing be it against India or Sri Lanka. As long as you play smart in a 50-over match, then one could win the series," the allrounder said.
While the Caribbean side possess genuine quickies like Ravi Rampaul and Tino Best, Bravo wants his bowlers to not only look for pace but mix up their deliveries to get success in the Indian conditions.
"It is good we have two good fast bowlers in our ranks. They are used to bowling 140 and above. But, here in India, there are small fields and batting friendly pitches. One has to display his skills and not bowl with too much pace. Most of the guys who bowl sheer pace haven`t been successful," Bravo said.
Bravo, who was appointed ODI captain earlier this year, said he would like to emulate his India opposite number Mahendra Singh Dhoni under whom he plays in the Indian Premier League.
"Most of the West Indian and Indian players have been together playing in IPL for different team. We are definitely going all out to give our best for our country. As a new captain, I will certainly try and emulate Dhoni in certain ways," the 30-year-old said.
Asked about the slump in West Indian cricket in the recent years, Bravo said sufficient opportunities should be given to the youngsters to showcase their talent.
"There are ups and downs in every players performance and as a team we have not been consistent and our senior players were not playing. But, now we have a new and young team and when there are changes in the team, there are more challenges.
"We need to get one group of players and give them chances as long as possible. Definitely, it is going to change. We have the talent to do it," he explained.
On sub-continent tracks, a potent spin attack is going to be crucial for the visitors and Bravo said the team will not only rely on Shane Shillingford but has other tweakers amongst its rank.
"Shane has been tested since the New Zealand tour and he has been there long before now. We expect the individual players to be in readiness and they are so. Shane has already passed the test regarding his action. As for Marlon he is going to be useful in this series," he said.
Asked about an Indian team without its recently retired batting legend Sachin Tendulkar, Bravo said: "Sachin has not been playing one day cricket for long. There are replacement players in the Indian team now perhaps since the world cup win by India. I do not think that his absence will affect Indian cricket as the others are there now."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo