WICB takes U-turn, denies calling off India tour

Adding to the drama of the ongoing India-West Indies tour, WICB issued a statement saying that it had not called off the tour and would come up with a final statement by the end of the 4th ODI.

Updated: Oct 17, 2014, 22:18 PM IST
WICB takes U-turn, denies calling off India tour

New Delhi: Adding to the drama of the ongoing India-West Indies tour, WICB issued a statement saying that it had not called off the tour and would come up with a final statement by the end of the 4th ODI.

The WICB put out a statement saying it had not taken a decision to end the tour. "The West Indies Cricket Board advises, that, contrary to media reports, it has taken no decision to discontinue the ongoing tour to India," it said. "The WICB will make a further statement following the conclusion of the fourth one-day International which is in progress."

WICB's statement came after BCCI scretary Sanjay Patel had issued a statement earlier in the day which said, "The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has informed the BCCI of its decision to cancel the rest of its ongoing tour to India because of a dispute with its players, and has advised the BCCI that its players will return home immediately."

The release also said that BCCI was "shocked and disappointed" over WICB's decision to abandon the tour.

"The BCCI is shocked and extremely disappointed at the decision taken by the WICB. The WICB’s inability to resolve internal issues with its players and allowing the same to affect an ongoing bilateral series does not reflect well on any of those involved. The withdrawal gives little thought to the future of the game, the players and the long standing relations between the BCCI and the WICB," the release further stated.