India vs WI: Chanderpaul stands tall as WI 256/5 on Day 1
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Experienced hand Shivnarine Chanderpaul faced little trouble from a new-look Indian bowling attack and completed his 24th Test hundred with ease. West Indies were 256/5 at stumps on the first day of first Test against India on Sunday.
Electing to bat, the West Indies openers were made to toil hard by the Indian spinners. After the initial hiccup, Chanderpaul took charge to steady innings ably supported by Brathwaite. However, Brathwaite’s long resistance ended after he fell to Pragyan Ojha. Skipper Dhoni wasted no time to pull off a quick stumping off a wider delivery from Ojha to make it three wickets for the off-spinner.
Debutant Ashwin sent back in-form Darren Bravo early to pick up his maiden Test wicket and followed it up with the wicket of Marlon Samuels. Chanderpaul’s innings included six fours and 2 sixes.
Earlier, a double strike from Pragyan Ojha put West Indies on the backfoot before lunch on the first day of the first Test between India and West Indies. Windies young openers Kieran Powell and Kraigg Brathwaite started off cautiously on a slow Kotla wicket. Ojha gave the hosts early breakthrough after sending off Powell. A well flighted delivery trapped Powell before the wicket.
Soon, he caught Kirk Edwards off his own ball for his second wicket. Ojha, coming after a splendid run in the domestic circuit, made Windies openers toil hard on Sunday.
West Indies captain Darren Sammy won the toss and elected to bat in the first Test of the three-match series against India on Sunday.
India are full strength in the batting department with the likes of Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Yuvraj. Yuvraj Singh made a comeback to the Test side, while Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane are out for this game. Umesh Yadav and R Ashwin also made their debuts.
India: Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman, Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni (capt), R Ashwin, Ishant Sharma, Pragyan Ojha, Umesh Yadav.
West Indies: Kieran Powell, Kraigg Brathwaite, Kirk Edwards, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Marlon Samuels, Carlton Baugh, Darren Sammy (capt), Ravi Rampaul, Fidel Edwards, Devendra Bishoo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city