Indian bowlers struggle as CA Chairman’s XI register 398/6
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Canberra: Indian bowlers struggled to get acclimatised to the conditions Down Under on Day 1 as the scorecard read 398/6 at stumps with the hosts declaring at the Manuka Oval.
Ishant Sharma was particularly off beat at the start of the two day practise match, bowling just 5.3 overs in the day.
Regular skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni opted against playing the match and Rahul Dravid took over the captaincy in his absence.
Electing to field after winning the toss, the Indians started off strongly but the CAC XI wriggled out of the tight situation through contrasting centuries by opener Wes Robinson (143) and Tom Cooper (182 not out) to blunt the visiting attack.
Even though the Indians struck back in the final hour, the CAC XI had all but exposed the weaknesses of an Indian attack when it takes the field without the experience of Zaheer Khan.
Young pacer Umesh Yadav was the first to strike when he had CAC XI skipper Ryan Broad (8) caught behind by Wriddhimaan in the 10th over.
Umesh, in fact, managed to create an impression by scalping three wickets in miserly 15 overs conceding just 39 runs.
Next man in Joe Burns (21) didn't last long either as Pragyan Ojha, who bowled 25 of the day's 86 overs, rattled his stumps.
CAC XI looked in trouble at lunch with the scoreboard reading 53/2 but Robinson and Cooper started a slow recovery, building 226-run partnership for the third wicket.
The two batsmen frustrated the Indian attack, which was hampered further when pacer Ishant Sharma walked off the field after completing just 5.3 overs. It was not clear just why Ishant was taken off the field.
Abhimanyu Mithun could not grab a single wicket although he was economical, giving away 40 runs in his 12 overs. R Vinay Kumar, who was drafted into the squad after Varun Aaron was ousted due to injury, was a major disappointment going for 89 runs in his 17 overs although he managed to get a wicket.
The first Test between India and Australia begins on Boxing Day, 26th December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video