Indian culture does not produce leaders: Chappell
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Adelaide: Former India coach Greg Chappell said that Indian players were not interested in playing Test cricket during their recent tour Down Under.
"It was obvious from the start of the tour that the Indians weren`t really interested in Test cricket," Chappell was quoted as saying by Cricinfo at a promotional event for his book, Fierce Focus, in Adelaide on Wednesday.
"After the Australians showed that they were going to be a formidable foe, I was very disappointed in the Indians. And having worked with many of them and having been in the dressing room with them, Test cricket was too hard for most of them. They can only make a lot of money playing 20-over cricket. Fifty-over cricket they can sort of put up with.”
"Test cricket for a lot of, not only India, a lot of subcontinent teams, I think it`s pretty tough. And the challenge for Test cricket is, without the sort of grounding that we [Australians] had as kids, Test cricket is too hard. It`s very demanding mentally, physically and emotionally."
Chappell also questioned the physical fitness and attitude of senior Indian players like Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan.
"You can throw in attitude for Zaheer as well," Chappell said.
Taking at dig at overall Indian culture Chappell said: "The culture is very different, it`s not a team culture," Chappell said.
"They lack leaders in the team because they are not trained to be leaders. From an early age, their parents make all the decisions, their schoolteachers make their decisions, their cricket coaches make the decisions.”
"The culture of India is such that, if you put your head above the parapet someone will shoot it. Knock your head off. So they learn to keep their head down and not take responsibility. The Poms taught them really well to keep their head down. For if someone was deemed to be responsible, they`d get punished. So the Indians have learned to avoid responsibility. So before taking responsibility for any decisions, they prefer not to."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price