Indian MPs to play T20 match against Mumbai Heroes next month
New Delhi: The IPL fever seems to have gripped the Indian parliamentarians as well and they are all set to play a friendly Twenty20 match against the Mumbai Heroes, the cricket team of Bollywood, on May 20 at the picturesque HPCA stadium in Dharamsala.
The cricket match, to be organised under the aegis of the Constitution Club of India, will be an annual affair.
"It is a new initiative to promote sports in the country. Film stars are widely followed and so we have joined hands with Bollywood in this initiative," BJP MP from Hamirpur and captain of the MPs team, Anurag Thakur told reporters here on Thursday.
"We have invited the Mumbai Heroes for the match and we are honoured that they have accepted our invitation.
"We are working to make it an annual event. The proposal is still in initial stages. We had our first meeting today but in near future we may rope in teams from other walks of life as well," said Thakur, who is also the joint secretary of the BCCI.
Thakur further added that "all the resources raised from the match will be donated to charity".
Apart from Thakur, other dignitaries who were present on the occasion were BJP MP Rajiv Pratap Rudy, who is also the manager of the parliamentarians` team, BJP national spokesperson Syed Shahnawaz Hussain, captain of Mumbai Heroes Sunil Shetty among others.
Rudy said with some former cricketers in its rank, Indian MP`s cricket team is one of the strongest in the world.
He also said that Sachin Tendulkar, who is now a Rajya Sabha MP, is automatically a part of the team and hopes in future he will turn for the parliamentarians.
"Sachin has now become a part of our cricket team. We just need to talk to him," Rudy said.
The Indian parliamentarians team include a few former India cricketers in Mohammad Azharuddin, Kirti Azad and Navjot Singh Sidhu and will also have young MPs like Kailash Singh Deo, Dushayant Singh, Kuldeep Singh Bishnoi, Deepender Singh Hooda.
Mumbai Heroes captain and Bollywood actor, Sunil Shetty said the film industry hopes to work together with the MPs to make this event a success.
The team from Bollywood will have stars like Ritesh Deshmukh, Sohail Khan, Aftab Shivdasani, Aditya Roy Kapoor, Irrfan Khan among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'